Welcome to Mrs. Bruno’s 3rd Grade Web-Page!
2019-2020 School Year
WELCOME TO THIRD GRADE web-page! I am enthusiastic and honored to be your third grade teacher. I aim for each student to be the best that they can be through learning, determination, hard work, compassion, kindness, guidance, prayer and respect for all. My students become my children and the class becomes a family of God! I look forward to meeting everyone and to beginning our spectacular school year together. It will be filled with many diverse learning experiences and endless opportunities for personal, academic, and spiritual growth.
To the parents, I say THANK YOU for choosing St. Athanasius Catholic Academy and for valuing the importance of raising your children in our faith. I appreciate and understand your sacrifices. Thank you for your support, I look forward to a fun filled and memorable school year filled with lots of learning and accomplishments.
Week of 10/15 – 10/18
***Please sharpen pencils at home, come to school prepared with at least 3 sharpened pencils per day. ****
Monday: No School Columbus Day
IMPORTANT NOTICE:This week begins our Terra Novva Testing 10/15-10/18 and 10/21. We have taken 2 practice tests this week and the students have been given many pointers on test taking skills. I kindly request that all students come to school prepared with 3 sharpened pencils with new erasers. Please arrive on time as tests will begin promptly. Also be sure that the kids are well rested and have eaten a nutritious breakfast. It is a long period of testing and the students need their energy to focus and do their best. Please no need to stress the students about these exams, we have practiced and I will be proctoring the tests step by step and guiding them to do their very best. Next week will be an easy week of classroom instruction, lessons, and minimal homework. Please enjoy the long weekend together. God Bless you All!
Reading: Read for 20 minutes and complete a reading response in Reading Log notebook. Be sure to have a complete school heading, title, author and # of pages read with a few sentences explaining a specific connection that you made to the reading. It can be a summary, you favorite part, an interesting fact or detail, about the character’s traits, anything that you like in reference to the reading.
Math: Workbook pages 37-38.
Religion: Mother Teresa project PAST due. Pray daily and do good deeds to help keep the Kingdom of God alive through our actions.
Please Hand in all forms and supplies.
Reading: Read for 20 minutes and complete a reading response in Reading Log note book. Be sure to have a complete school heading, title, author and # of pages read with a few sentences explaining a specific connection that you made to the reading. It can be a summary, you favorite part, an interesting fact or detail, about the character’s traits, anything that you like in reference to the reading.
Spelling: In Spelling/Vocab notebooks, ABC order, 3 times each, and sentences for all 20 words. Please underline the spelling word in the sentence and write well developed sentences. Due on Friday and quiz on Friday.
Math: Textbook page 52-53
Religion: Mother Teresa Project over due. Pray daily and continue to Spread the Good News.
Reading: Read for 20 minutes and write a reading response. Reading comprehension test on My Very Own Room and skills test on Tuesday 10/22. Please take home Treasures text book to review and study the skill and strategy of the week in reading/ELA notebook and Practice book.
Math: WB pgs 39-40. Study for Math quiz on Tuesday 10/22 on Chapter 3 -subtraction.
Religion: Mother Teresa Words and Inspirations project over due. Be kind, pray for the most needy, be the hands of Jesus and help someone.
Notice: Tomorrow 10/18 Friday, Brook’s family will be providing a McDonald’s lunch for the class to celebrate his birthday. No food or snacks need to be sent in unless you prefer to eat your own lunch. The students have already placed their orders 🙂 Thank you to the Timbreza family for their generosity!
Reading: Read for 20 minutes and complete a reading response in Reading Log note book. Be sure to have a complete school heading, title, author and # of pages read with a few sentences explaining a specific connection that you made to the reading. It can be a summary, you favorite part, an interesting fact or detail, about the character’s traits, anything that you like in reference to the reading. Reading comprehension test on My Very Own Room and skills test on Tuesday 10/22. Please take home Treasures text book to review and study the skill and strategy of the week in reading/ELA notebook and Practice book.
Math: WB pgs 41-42 , and any incomplete pages or examples up to pg 42 must be completed. Study for Math quiz on Tuesday 10/22 on chapter 3 subtraction.
Religion: Go to Mass on Sunday. Mother Teresa project past due!! Pray daily and remember to continue to spread the good news with your actions not just your word. 🙂 Go to mass on Sunday.
Please Hand in all forms and supplies, forms. Please cover all workbooks in clear contact paper.
Attention Parents: Please send in some games, toys for the students to play during recess. We will place them in a bin and bring them down for the children to utilize during lunch time. They need to find activities that will allow them to play peacefully and prevent rough play and accidents. Please send in whatever you see fit ( no balls, no slime, no Pokemon cards). I thank you for your cooperation.
Mission Money $1.
*Bring back forms,acceptable use policy form from computer teacher must be returned before student can use a device, emergency contact, parent/student handbook, and picture permission form.
*Cover all workbooks with clear contact paper and bring in large book socks to cover text books in class.
Note: A huge THANK YOU to all the families for your cooperation and generosity with the class supplies. I am truly thankful 🙂 God Bless you all! The children are adjusting nicely to third grade and we are already making great progress. Keep up the great work!!
Important Reminders, Notices and Dates.
Our Weekly Schedule
Monday – Italian, every other week Bring a notebook
Monday – Gym, Gym attire is a must. Sneakers and gym uniform
Wednesday – Computer Lab, Bring your earbuds/head phones
Thursday – Art
St. Athanasius Sports Program
Boys & Girls ages 4 to 14
- September 4, 2019 First Day of School 7:50 – 12:30 in the school yard, please be prompt at both arrival and dismissal.
- September 5th &6th, Full school days 7:50 – 3:00 Please send students with lunch.
- September 12, 7 p.m. Fall Parent Back to School Meeting. I look forward to meeting everyone and having a chance to chat with you all about 3rd grade standards, set expectations, curriculum goals, and to answer any questions or concerns.
Monday, September 23rd: VIRTUS Training for parents or guardians at St. Athanasius Catholic Academy from 6:30pm-9:30pm Parents must be Virtus Trained in order to volunteer for school events and also to chaperone on class trips.
- September 27,Please mark your calendars: September 27, Tanya Rose’s family will be providing a pizza lunch complete with drinks and desert to celebrate her birthday during lunch period. If your child does not want what will be provided please send them in with their own lunch. The students can still bring their water for the day, Thank you.
Friday 10/4 First Friday Mass and Early Dismissal at 12:30.
October 12th,Columbus Day Parade. Please join me and fellow students and walk in the Brooklyn parade along 18th Avenue, representing St. Athanasius C.A. More information soon to follow, keep a look out for permission and information form to be sent home. I hope to see you all there! 🙂
- October 31, Pumpkin painting party: $7 and form due 25,2019.
- Please submit the last page of the parent -student handbook. please print, sign and hand in as soon as possible.
- Please sign and return the last page of third grade policy report that was handed out or sent home on parent night. Thank you!
Help us support our school and raise money for our children’s education!
If you are an Amazon customer sign onto www.Amazonsmile.com and add us to your Charity so that we can raise money for our school. Amazon will give us a 0.5% of the price you spend for our children.
Box Tops for Education will be collected. Send boxtops glued or taped to collection sheets or in ziplock bags(25 box tops/bag). Bonus boxtops should not be put on collection sheets. Sign up with Shoprite Supermarket (https://shopriteformyschool.com) to get added bonuses for our school.
- $1 Mission money will be collected once a month on every first Monday. When we join together, we can help others in need.
- Please donate to the food pantry! Our charity work means so much to so many!
- Please be sure that your child arrives to school on time , from 7:50- 8:00 a.m, this is an important time for them to organize their day and to pray together.
- Please note that pickup time for dismissal is promptly at 3:00 pm.
Incoming Grade 3 students 2019-2020
Book Report Assignment Guidelines
Pick an on level Chapter book that has a back to school theme to read over the summer and complete the following on loose leaf.
- Write title, author, genre, setting, characters and summary.
- Pick two main characters and write about them in paragraph form. Give details about their personalities, how they’ve changed from the beginning, middle, and end of the story, and their actions in the plot.
- Write a complete summary of the story in paragraph form.
- In paragraph form write about something new you learned from the book.
- Pick five new vocabulary words from your book, define and write an original sentence for each one.
- Choose 2 interesting sentences from your book to share. Explain why you picked it.
- Would you recommend this book to your classmates? Why or why not?
- Would you read another book by this author? Explain why or why not?
- Cover: Include the title, author, your name and grade. Draw and color an original and colorful picture for your cover on construction paper. Be creative and neat.
- Please note that this should be the student’s best work. It will count as an ELA grade, and also allow me to assess their areas of strength and where additional review is needed.
Student’s Supplies : Please be sure to label all with student’s name. Please note that supplies can be brought in a little at a time the first week of school. Thank You!!
- 9 – composition notebooks (100 pages) Please label each with subject and name. (Math, Social Studies, Science, Reading/ELA, Religion, Spelling/Vocabulary, Writing/Journal, Reading Log, and Homework)
- 2 – folders labeled, (Homework/Notices, and Scholastic)
- 2- boxes of No. 2 pencils – at least 5 sharpened daily.
- pencil sharpener
- 1 – crayons (24 pack)
- 1 – box of washable thin markers and/or colored pencils
- 1 – child sized scissors
- 2 – glue sticks
- 1 – 12 inch ruler (n0 metal)
- 1 – soft pencil case (no hard plastic boxes or metal cases will be permitted)
- 2 – Independent Chapter Reading Books
- 1 – pocket dictionary
- 1 – package of loose leaf paper (wide ruled with margin)
- 1 – highlighter
- 1 – package of Expo dry eraser markers, black and multi color.
- 1 pack of construction paper
- 4 large stretch book covers for text books.
- 1 pack of lined index cards
- 1 pack of sticky notes (large size)
- 2 – boxes of tissues
- 1 – hand sanitizer large
- 2 – rolls of bounty paper towels
- 1 – package of baby wipes
- 2 large – Clorox/Lysol disinfectant wipes
- 1 Lysol disinfectant air spray
- 1 box gallon size ziplock bags (if last name begins A-K)
- 1 box sandwich size ziplock bags (if last name begins L-Z)
- 1 ream of white copy/printing paper
- 1HP #61 printer cartridge 1black and/or 1 color (optional wish list :)
- 2 – rolls of clear contact paper to cover soft workbooks only, all workbooks must be covered.
- 1 box of envelopes (letter size white)
- 1 – package of loose leaf paper (wide ruled with margin)
- index cards
- 1 – ruler
- Construction paper
- Pencils, crayons, washable markers
- Oak tag
Please note that the above listed supplies will be continuously used throughout the school year and may need to be replenished if requested. I thank you so much!